The Körner’s Folly Foundation has embarked upon a Capital Campaign to build a beautiful new centerpiece in Kernersville – a Visitors Center at Körner’s Folly that will also serve as a community gathering place. The center will be completed in partnership with the Town of Kernersville. Funds raised as part of this campaign will also complete necessary interior renovations and develop new community programs at the Folly.
The 5,600 square foot Visitors Center will allow the Folly to accommodate more people with:
- Community Room – flexible space for hands-on educational programs for children and families, lectures, and presentations, available for rental or use by local nonprofits, businesses, and individuals·
- Exhibition Lobby – Beautiful entrance and welcome area to orient visitors to Kernersville and display unique, rotating exhibits, of never-before-seen Körner family artifacts
- Research Library – accessible storage, conference, reading, and research space for continued study and presentation of documents and writings pertaining to Körner’s Folly, the Körner family, and local history
- Gift Shop – large area for admissions processing and uniquely curated souvenirs, books, toys, and gifts, increasing earned revenue opportunities
- Collections Storage – humidity and temperature controlled space to stabilize artifacts, such as documents, photographs, textiles, clothing, and art
- Restrooms – increased facilities to accommodate larger tour groups, programs, and events
- Parking – a new paved lot will hold a greater number of vehicles and be safer during inclement weather; space for large buses will allow for increased heritage tourism and greater influx of out of town visitors to Kernersville
- Activity Lawn Porch – covered outdoor space to accommodate student field trips and other large groups for discussion, picnicking, and experiential learning
- Media Room – increased seating and improved technology allow for a smoother introduction to the history of Körner’s Folly and will allow for those who cannot physically access the historic house to enjoy it virtually
- Pathways – interpretive walkways to the historic structures from the Visitors Center to improve accessibility and safety
The Visitors Center at Körner’s Folly will allow for sustainable growth, greatly improve the visitor experience, and increase the resources available to our community. With your help, we can break ground on this new building as soon as Fall 2021!